Fall is just around the corner – which means it’s time for warm, fall beverages. Sure, apple cider and pumpkin spiced lattes normally get all the attention – but this year, why not step it up a notch with this recipe for Spiced Bourbon Coffee? Infused with orange zest, cloves and cardamom, this coffee cocktail may cause you to put those other popular drinks aside (admittedly, anything with a splash of bourbon may have that effect).
Spiced Bourbon Coffee
Yields 1 serving
Slightly adapted from ImbibeMagazine.com
1 oz. bourbon
1 oz. citrus syrup (recipe below)
6 oz. Black Ice Brew Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate diluted 1:1 with hot water.
1. Stir together bourbon and syrup in a mug.
2. Add hot coffee, give it a quick stir and garnish with a piece of fresh orange.
3. Serve and enjoy!
Yields enough for about 3-4 drinks
Juice from 2 large oranges (about 3/4 cup total)
1/3 cup sugar
5 whole cloves
Seeds from 3 cardamom pods
2-3 large strips of orange zest
1. Add ingredients to a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently and being careful that the mixture doesn’t boil. Mixture should thicken to a syrupy consistency.
3. Allow syrup to cool a bit and strain out spices and orange peel. Refrigerate until ready to use.
This week’s code word is “spiced coffee.” Visit us at farmers’ markets in St. Charles, Batavia, Aurora, Sugar Grove or Elgin from September 12-18. The first 20 people at each of those markets to stop by and repeat the code word get a drink on us!