I don’t know about you but this winter has been rough, the Polar Vortex, snow every other day, 40 degrees one day, -25 the next. Cold days are meant to be spent indoors with a good cup of coffee. Since I’m suffering from a bad case of cabin fever, I thought I’d jazz it up a little and treat myself. I was looking through Pinterest and was inspired by this recipe for a white chocolate mocha from a blog called Cake Wiz. However, I’m more of a chocolate girl so I made a few changes for this recipe to match what I have available at home.
In order to make a mocha, you need two things: chocolate and espresso. I have chocolate but I do not have an espresso machine. However, I do have an Aeropress and a Prismo that work beautifully for espresso! What is Prismo? It is an extension that you can put on an Aeropress that uses the pressure actuated valve from your Aeropress and generates more pressure than you do with a normal paper filter. The result – espresso style coffee from your Aeropress. How does it work? Add coffee and water to the Aeropress, stir, let it sit for 45 seconds. Gently press down and then enjoy! You’ll get syrupy and full-bodied espresso shots every time! The Prismo’s quick punch of caffeine will save the day!
Syrupy and full-bodied, Prismo’s quick punch of caffeine will save the day!
Here are all the deets for the recipe below, stay caffeinated friends.
- 1 cup Milk Whole
- 1 teaspoon of chocolate
- 2 shots of Espresso ( I used FreshGround Roast’s Costa Rican Honey Processed coffee, fine ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of Vanilla Monin Syrup
- 1 cup Whipped cream for topping
- Chocolate sandwich cookies
- Grind the beans to an espresso (10 on an Encore coffee grinder)
- Attach the Prismo at the end of the Aeropress.
- Pour in the grounds to the Aeropress, stir, let it sit for 45 seconds. Gently press down
- Warm up the milk, froth for 30 seconds (I have a hand frother)
- Pour espresso shots, milk, and chocolate into a cup
- Put heavy whipping cream and vanilla into a bowl, whip with an electric handheld mixer for 20 seconds, place on top of the coffee in the cup
- Crush up chocolate sandwich cookies, put on top of whipped cream
- Serve immediately and enjoy.
Sarah is the Administrative Assistant and Marketing guru at FreshGround Roasting. Sarah where she talks about coffee, brewing methods, customer questions, and other awesome coffee related stuff!